Greatness is a clearly defined mission and vision that will lead toward success and a fulfilled life. When you have the ability to innovate and create breakthroughs in the service of something bigger than yourself, then you earn the respect of others through your character and integrity.
Greatness is . . .
A WORTHY GOAL
The amazing thing about greatness is that every person has the chance to achieve it, but it requires hard work and perseverance. Some will never achieve it — for numerous reasons — because it is not just given, but earned.
Here are eight things to focus on as you create a mindset of greatness:
THE EIGHT TO GREAT
- HAVE COURAGE – Simply put, courage is having strength in the face of fear. It is not allowing the voices in your head to be louder than the voices from your mouth. It is an attribute of good character and fight for something greater than you despite the risk.
- BE REALISTIC – Goals can be lofty, but ensure they are achievable. You have to evaluate the risk vs. reward, put critical thought into the personal costs involved in your pursuit, and identify the tools and resources necessary to move forward. Be self-aware enough to make the difficult decisions.
- STAY CURIOUS – If you don’t believe in the possibilities, you will never discover the reward. Too many people who have the talent and ability allow their dreams to die because they aren’t willing to go beyond what they know. Never stop asking “why” until you get the answer you need to take the next step.
- SURROUND YOURSELF WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE – Nobody climbs the mountain alone; we need support, guidance, and encouragement. You will need a trusted circle of influence, true friendships that withstand the test. You will immediately find out who those friends are, because you are like-minded and all share in serving a greater purpose. If people are negative or bring you down, let them go. You have enough baggage to carry on your shoulder to the top of the mountain.
- PERSISTENCE PAYS – Focus on what you want to do and don’t stop until you feel like you have exceeded your expectations. The outcome of that drive will be commitment. If you do all you can do to have a defined purpose, vision and plan, then anything is possible.
- CELEBRATE THE MILESTONES – Don’t make the mistake of focusing so intensely on the outcome that you lose the lessons of the process. You have to hold onto the vision and enjoy the process, because success is not a one-way street. The process will fuel the drive that pushes you every day, regardless of adversity.
- AVOID SELFISH AMBITION – Don’t fall into the trap of chasing greatness to keep up with others, or allow others to dictate your pace and achievement. Chasing greatness is an individual pursuit of a greater purpose. You must be authentic and not allow influence or opinion change your course. You will make unpopular choices, but if it’s for the sake of future benefit, stay on course.
- BE MINDFUL OF YOUR MINDSET – To achieve greatness, you have to ensure that your mindset matches your actions. It will require a strong belief in yourself, a commitment to success, the ability to push through failure, mental toughness and resilience. Round that out with character, heart and will.
Your life deserves a concentrated effort to succeed. You owe that to yourself, because what is the benefit if you are not living your dreams? You get one life — make the absolute most of it!
Go do great things today and make a difference.